Mack's Mom - Joubert Syndrome & Ocular Motor Apraxia

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

It's been too long!

It's been 8 months since my last update! So much has happened with Mackenzie since the last post. My plan is to break up my posts into a couple months at a time because if I did one post for the last 8 months, it would be super long! Hopefully I'll get around to doing a post every week to get caught up. Not sure who follows my blog much anymore since I have lacked at keeping up with it but I have decided I need to keep up with it regardless for my and Mackenzie's benefit. I never did a baby book for Mackenzie (I started one but then didn't like how Mackenzie didn't follow the 'order' of events/milestones so I ditched it!) so I plan to print off my posts from this blog and put it in a notebook for Mackenzie to have one day.

So here's a quick update for now. I promise to go into more detail soon!

Mackenzie's life consists of NO MORE therapies (I'll expand more on that later....), swim lessons a few times a month, occasional horseback riding, church Awanas, many playdates, and our newest adventure- homeschooling! We joined a homeschool community, Classical Conversations, which meets weekly. Homeschooling has been fun and challenging all in one. I'm not sure if this will be something we do until she graduates or if we will eventually go the school route, but I know that right now, it has been the best choice for our family.

Every week the kids have to get up individually and give a couple minute speech. Mackenzie was hesitant the first few weeks and needed me by her side pretty much giving her the words to say, but the past 2 weeks she has gone up on her own to give her speech.



I've had some proud moments of watching Mackenzie do things that typically would make a parent upset, but I ended up having to snap a picture before correcting her.:)

Mackenzie will get her step stool to help herself to anything in the kitchen. I had to tell her that she needs to ask before getting anything (especially the candy!) but I did smile the first time I watched her grab the stool to get into the candy dish on the top of the cabinet.


And then a few days later she asked me if she could get a snack. I turned around to find her sitting on the counter. I had to tell her that she must remain on the stool next time and not climb onto the counter.:) 


She's been a huge help when it comes to getting bugs!



Last month she ran in her 2nd annual kids run (the 1/4 mile portion). She says she's going to run a ''long race" like Mommy does when she gets older. I look forward to the day when we run our first 5k together!


We've had a decent amount of rain the past month so Mack's enjoyed jumping in puddles whenever she gets the chance!


She also amazes us with her fashion sense. :)

And her overall cuteness! :)


Mackenzie was very excited to learn how to swing by herself. She's been trying hard all summer long and accomplished this in the past month. Now all she wants to do when we're outside is swing nonstop. I love it!


BJ and I continue to be proud parents of Mackenzie. We have our struggles (like all parents do), and we know that we will continue to have struggles the older Mackenzie becomes (especially since she's starting to question the JS aspect of her life). We sometimes get caught up in the frustrations we all 3 encounter when it comes to the "JS side" of things and often forget to just enjoy watching our daughter grow. But when it comes to the end of the day, we truly are thankful for the life God has given us. Mackenzie continues to teach us more than I could ever imagine.



So there's the quick update of our recent happenings. Stay tuned for posts on her 5th birthday, graduating preschool, Disney vacation, JS conference, and our decision to homeschool and to end therapies!



1 comment:

  1. Hello fellow homeschool momma! Sending prayers of strength to you. :-) Officially schooling Jack now and letting Carl choose his own pace at this point, I love getting to homeschool, I hope it goes well for you. Mack is growing so much and is so beautiful, thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete