Mack's Mom - Joubert Syndrome & Ocular Motor Apraxia

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Repetition, repetition, and more repetition (with patience thrown in!)

When Mackenzie was learning to crawl, pull up, stand, walk, etc...I learned that repetition was the main key. I would help her move the correct way (by doing exercises the physical therapist gave) and just kept doing it over and over as long as she tolerated it. I used an empty bottle of water and cell phone as motivation for Mack (those were 2 items she, for some reason, loved:)). If she ever became frustrated then we would stop. I never wanted it to not be fun for her. Of course I'm still using repetition for her mobility with going up/down stairs, jumping, etc.

But now I am realizing that repetition (and lots of patience from both of us!) is needed even more when it comes to learning colors, letters, numbers.....and I am quite certain we will continue with this as she learns more skills!

A few months ago, I decided to really work on Mackenzie's name. And after A LOT of hard work on Mackenzie's end, she got it!


I don't expect you to watch all 9+ minutes of this next video (which is the extended version of the video above). But on this certain day, Mackenzie was determined to learn how to spell her name. And since she showed no signs of frustration, I knew that I needed to have lots of patience and just keep on! I'm so glad I got this on video because it was and still is such a proud moment for the both of us!


For whatever reason, the letter "E" was the hardest for Mackenzie to remember. So I came up with the idea to do the sign for "E" and draw it out quite a bit--"Eeeeeeeeeeee!". And it ended up sticking! So now, even several months after this, Mackenzie will proudly spot an 'E' and let me know she knows that letter! And every time, I make sure to praise her! I also did signs for the other letters since Mackenzie's learning is quite visual (and used other ways to remember the letters such as pointing to my eye for the letter "I").

We are still working on letters (and are throwing in lower case). Mackenzie consistently knows around 18 of the 26 letters (for both upper and lower case). Mack has had several moments of frustration. Just like with learning her name, I'll go through the same letters over and over and certain ones just won't "click". The older Mackenzie becomes, the more frustrated I see her getting when she can't remember. There are times I'll pull the flashcards out and she'll tell me "no, I don't want to do letters right now". And 99% of the time she tells me that, I can tell she is frustrated. So I will pull out an activity/learning skill that I know she can successfully do to help build her confidence (I did the same thing when it came to her mobility).

This past month we have focused on writing her name. Mackenzie has been able to write "MACK" for about the past year. Since BJ and I decided to name give our daughter a very long name:) I knew that learning her name correctly (using lower case) would be helpful with learning more letters. So we started with "Mackenzie".....


Then we worked on her first and last name.....


And then we added her middle name into the mix...



I use to not think much about the milestones Mackenzie would hit after she started walking, however, now I realize that there will always be something to celebrate (big or small!).

Below are 2 videos of Mackenzie recited the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance. Memorization definitely is a strong suit for Mackenzie! 






The older Mackenzie gets, the more frustrations and struggles I know she will encounter. However, I am certain that she will continue to turn her frustrations and struggles into becoming even more determined. I have pushed her too hard at times which has resulted in both of us getting frustrated. Mackenzie may take longer in certain areas (and even faster in others) so I have to keep reminding myself to just let her work at her own pace. And I'll even have to teach her as she gets older that it's ok to work at her own pace no matter what others may say. Mackenzie has definitely taught me that every person learns in their own way and also in their own time. And that it's totally ok!


I'll end with showing off a picture Mackenzie drew of our family (including the dog and 2 cats:)). She's become quite the artist!


No comments:

Post a Comment