Mack's Mom - Joubert Syndrome & Ocular Motor Apraxia

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Monthly Update :)

The Facebook group on Ocular Motor Apraxia has been quite helpful. I am continuously learning more from adults who have OMA and from parents whose children have OMA. It is interesting how some describe what it is like to have OMA. One person said that learning to walk with OMA is like learning to walk on a merry-go-round. I often wonder what it is like for Mackenzie. It is obvious that she has difficulty with her balance. Does she get dizzy when she tries to stand up and when I'm holding onto her hands walking with her? Is the reason she often runs into the wall when she is crawling because her depth perception is off? It will be interesting to ask her these questions when she gets older.

This past week I woke up and had the worst pain in my back. BJ dragged me to the doctor and I found out that I have a pinched nerve. After laying down for 2 days straight, I feel much better. The doctor said that it was most likely due to the lifting and carrying that I do with Mackenzie (since she is close to 30 lbs:)). From a selfish standpoint- this is a good reason why I look forward to Mackenzie walking.:)

Mackenzie is becoming quite independent. She pushes my hand away when I try to help her and will tell me "no". She is the most determined child! I do get nervous when she does things on her own since she still loses her balance and has hard falls however they are not as often as they used to be. Mackenzie learned how to pull up on the couch and turn herself around to where her back is leaning back on the couch while she is standing up. She loves watching TV in this position. Sadly, there are still times when she will randomly lose her balance and fall straight down on her side but she will let out a brief cry, turn herself around and get right back up. Here is a picture of her leaning up against the couch, as proud as can be!



She has also learned how to get on and off her bike and scoot throughout the house. This is a huge improvement from just a month ago when she would need a lot of help getting on and off and would lose her balance and fall off of the bike if I wasn't there holding her up. I love how proud she is of herself!



Here is a video from a couple of days ago when Mackenzie decided to show us her  new way of getting around. She is determined to walk! The physical therapist told us that a child typically does this around 11 months old. Three months ago the developmental pediatrician told us that Mackenzie was at a 9 month old's development when it came to mobility. I am very thrilled that she has made this much progress in just 3 months!:)


Long video however it shows how well she is doing with riding her bike.:)
 
 

Mackenzie has a speech assessment this Thursday. She was referred by the occupational therapist. Mackenzie says some words however the OT feels that Mackenzie may be a little behind the "average" with her speech. 
We go to UVA on Janurary 10th to see a Neuro-Opthamologist. Mackenzie went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for an ear infection and saw a different pediatrician (than her primary pediatrician) who was very interested in Mackenzie's OMA. The doctor gave good insight and advice on what route we should take and referred us to a Pediatric Neurologist at UVA. We don't have a date set for that appointment. I'm looking forward to Mackenzie seeing both a Neuro-Opthamologist and a Neurologist so we can hopefully gain more insight as to what exactly is going on. 
Hopefully my next post will be filled with all new information that we get from her upcoming appointment with the Neuro-Opthamologist! :)

~Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!~

No comments:

Post a Comment